Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sidewalk Preoccupations

I have something of an irregular tick. Every once in awhile (which is code for "often, but I won't admit it!") I'll get the idea stuck in my head that it's BAD to step on the lines in the sidewalk! I'll try to maintain the same walking speed and see how insignificantly I can adjust my pace so I won't hit any cracks. If I do hit any cracks, then I have to step on the next crack with the same spot on the opposite foot - and it has to feel the same through my shoe. I've always been amused by this little game, despite occasionally getting carried away and most likely looking very odd! Well, fall has made it worse. I now feel the need to step on every crunchy leaf I see. Yet, owing to the great multitude of sidewalk travelers there is a surprising dearth of crunchy leaves. What I'll often think will be the perfect crunchy leaf turns out to be used up by all the other crunchy-leaf-smashers out there! This only makes me more determined. So here I am, most likely late for class, running up the gigantic hill to campus, probably out of breath, yet with all of my thought going into avoiding the cracks on the sidewalk and trying to find those elusive crunchy leaves. Perhaps it's odd that I get so much pleasure out of this. Maybe I should listen to my iPod more...

1 comment:

xister said...

You know, I have a similar thing, but it's that I don't like to share a block of concrete as I walk around campus. In fact, I can, but only one foot at a time: if I'm stepping off as someone is stepping on (so there or only ever two shoes in contact with the cement, that's OK too). I imagine that having two shoes on one block might be too much for it and it will fall through the earth to my certain death. As you can imagine, this makes passing periods between classes very complicated.