Monday, August 25, 2008

Gas Prices

I think this chap has a good point:

"I suspect that if I stood next to the yogurt case in the supermarket for five minutes every week with nothing to do but stare at the price, I would also know how much it has gone up — and I might become outraged when yogurt passed the $2 mark."

I, for one, am not too angry at the higher gas prices for a few reasons:
  1. I was prompted to finally sell my old, undesirable, and semi-gas guzzling truck for a much cooler, sportier, and gas efficient car. (And unlike the article, didn't lose money doing it!)
  2. I have been waiting for a long time for Americans to wake up and realize how easy we've had it for the past twenty years. Gas in Canada has been $4+ for years and I hear Europe has been even worse. But these people have gotten used to it, bought fuel efficient cars, used public transportation, and (gasp!) walked more. Meanwhile, our greed for cheap petroleum has drawn us into a series of frivolous Middle Eastern conflicts while simultaneously given ample reason to neglect developing quality domestic mass-transit systems.
I plan to write more about this subject because I think and read a good deal about it.

No comments: